The Immunization Initiative Advisory Committee
2016 MCAAP Immunization Initiative Activity Report
Posted February 2017
The Immunization Initiative (the “Initiative”) continues to advocate for Massachusetts children and adolescents to be fully immunized against vaccine preventable diseases. The Initiative develops and participates in activities, communication outreach to and educational programs for healthcare providers and the public. The Initiative also participates in collaborative efforts and coalitions which aim to improve Massachusetts immunization rates.
During 2016, the Initiative sponsored or participated in more than 27 educational activities with more than 3,00 participants. The activities included annual conferences and meetings, coalition presentations, Grand Rounds seminars, general immunization updates for the public, webinars, and outreach activities with groups such as the American Society of General Dentistry, Massachusetts Coalition for HPV/Cervical Cancer and HPV-Related Cancers Awareness, Massachusetts PTA, Team Maureen, and Yankee Dental.
Educational activity highlights during 2016 include:
- Grand Rounds seminars throughout Massachusetts (7 seminars; approximately 175 participants).
- Immunization Initiative Webinar Series (7 webinars; 1130 participants). The webinar recordings, presentations and additional resources were posted to the MCAAP website for access by Chapter members and the public.
- In October 2016, the Initiative co-sponsored the 21st Annual Massachusetts Immunization Action Partnership Pediatric Immunization Skills Building Conference with the MDPH (425 participants). The conference presentations were posted on the Chapter website for access by Chapter members and the public.
- In November 2016, the Initiative jointly sponsored the 4th Annual HPV/HPV-Related Cancers Summit with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and MDPH (90 attendees).
- Initiative participation in HPV and Immunization coalition events, conferences, general immunization presentations, MA PTA-sponsored conferences and summits, and CDC-sponsored campaigns, including National Infant Immunization Week (April), and National Immunization Awareness Month (August) and National Influenza Vaccination Week (December).
The Initiative maintains web pages within the MCAAP web site at the following links: http://mcaap.org/immunization/, and publishes The Shot Clock quarterly as a part of the MCAAP’s publication, The Forum (http://mcaap.org/newsletters/). The Initiative also publishes a monthly Initiative e-newsletter for Chapter members and healthcare providers.
The HPV Vaccination Initiative web page (http://mcaap.org/immunization-hpv/) was created in 2014 and is updated on an ongoing basis. The webpage includes MA HPV Vaccination Initiative information, updated clinical information, provider resources, handouts for patients and parents, professional education for providers, and news releases.
The Initiative utilized the Forum, monthly e-newsletter, social media and website, as well as the Immunization Initiative listserv to communicate information from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) to its target audience. The Initiative also disseminated updated immunization information from organizations, such as Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), Immunization Action Coalition (IAC), and National Foundation for Infectious Diseases (NFID).
MCAAP Committee Meetings and Other Meeting Participation
The Immunization Advisory Committee and Sub-Committee for Vaccine Strategies met in April and September, to discuss current immunization issues. The Immunization Director (representing the MCAAP) and several Advisory Committee members participated on the MDPH-sponsored Massachusetts Vaccine Advisory Council (MVPAC). MVPAC held three meetings during 2016.
The Initiative also attended other Chapter committee meetings, such as the Oral Health Committee and Pediatric Council.
Throughout the year, the Initiative monitored and responded to state legislative and regulatory activities related to immunization.
On April 25, 2016, the MCAAP/Initiative submitted a letter to Commissioner Monica Bharel and members of the Public Health Council in support of the proposed amendments to 105 CMR 220.000: Immunization of Students Before Admission to School.
In August 2016, the MCAAP/Immunization Initiative submitted a letter to Commissioner Bharel and the Public Health Council regarding proposed amendments to 105 CMR 700.000 (Implementation of M.G.L. c. 94C).
Copies of these letters are available upon request. Please contact Cynthia McReynolds (email@example.com; 781.895.9850).
Other Initiative Activities
The Initiative continues to be a pediatric immunization resource for Chapter members and nonmembers, by providing immunization resource materials to these groups as requested. It also continues to build coalitions with public and private organizations which share the Initiative’s mission.
Cynthia McReynolds, MBA
Program Manager, Immunization Initiative (firstname.lastname@example.org)